Sunday, November 10, 2013

Now lets antique what we stitched!

I am bold....and have no problem jumping into a project with a positive "it's going to turn out fine" attitude. So for me....I love how this turned out. This took me 5 minutes to do! You could antique the fabric first...but I like to do it after so I can put some over the stitching to truly make it look old.
I don't use coffee or tea......I don't care what they say...acid is acid...and if you are an archival buff.....you don't put acid to stain fabric unless you are going to wash it out. I use Ranger Archival, acid free, permanent and waterproof inks. I used Sepia and Coffee on this one. You can see how it looks when I was half done with the Sepia. Then I added the coffee color. I used the ink pad as an applicator (I told you I was bold) and then I used a paint brush to rub in areas with softer or darker color. I also dabbed these colors on the cotton twill hanger. Using ink on fabric will require a drying time of 24 hours or more. You can then heat set it with your iron if you like.....it doesn't require it. You just want to make sure it is good and dry before you handle it.
***If you have ever stitched with over dyed floss and the color has rubbed off a bit too much on the fabric, you can use this technique to shade the fabric and around the lettering. You can use a very light ink or go dark and drastic for a really grungy and primitive look.
The end result is a bit darker than these photos. I tried using the flash as you can see....and I just can't capture the rich color of the ink. I should buy a really good camera. One of these days.

I thought I would share that with all of you. There are so many nice fabrics out there...but if you have one that is too light you might consider this technique. Practice on scraps first.....so you don't get mad at me!!!! LOL
Nancy

18 comments:

  1. I have never tried this - quite effective!!! Gorgeous stitching :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried this. But it looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Nancy. Is this with your own threads?? I am with you with tea and coffee: it eats the fabric over time and I want to leave things to be remembered...I have never tried the products you mention...will go and google and see hot it works. BTW Bold in Ireland is used to describe someone who is naughty. My friend tells me all the time I am Bold rofl xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have learned something new! I have had this happen before and was quiet upset. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post. I've heard of doing this, but forgot! The ink is on my list now and I'll search for it this week. Anxious to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someday I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice look. I've never tried to dye fabrics or finished stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, this is very useful!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. precioso, me encanta

    besitos

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never used inks..y....must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea. What a fun idea. I must try this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so doing this!!!! Going out to get some ink today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've used tea before but do worry about the acidic properties so this is a must try! Just read about your technique over on Marly's blog and had to come see your results. Thanks for this tip, off to buy some sepia and coffee inks! Deb

    ReplyDelete